Vizcaya Museum and Gardens is a National Historic Landmark and accredited museum in Miami,
Florida (www.vizcaya.org). The Museum Archivist is responsible for the physical and intellectual
management of Vizcaya’s archival collections, which include 2,300 historic architectural drawings
and blueprints; 3,000 historic photographs; and 30,000 pieces of historic correspondence. The
position is on the Engagement & Cultural Resources Team in the Art & Artifact Stewardship
Department, reports to the Senior Director of Art & Artifact Stewardship and from time-to-time may
Vizcaya is owned by Miami-Dade County and is operated by the non-profit Vizcaya Museum and
Gardens Trust, Inc. Our mission is to preserve the estate’s cultural and environmental resources to
engage people in connecting with the past, understanding the present and shaping the future. Our
vision is to position Vizcaya as an enduring, inclusive and innovative place that inspires people to
embrace the cultural vitality and environmental sustainability of the world around us.
• Process archival collections, including institutional archives and museum records, to professional
• Develop and maintain archival finding aids.
• Preserve and monitor archival collections through environmental controls and appropriate
housing. Manage the relocation of archival collections storage onsite and offsite as needed.
• In collaboration with the department director, develop a work plan and support funding initiatives
to continue digitization of archival collections.
• Collaborate with colleagues on the development of tools and systems for virtual collections access.
• Provide research service to museum staff and outside stakeholders; maintain policies and
procedures for use and access.
• Maintain and improve archives directory in Proficio database including the user interface; expand
the archives online database.
• In collaboration with the Director of Technology & Digital Initiatives, serve as primary person
responsible for back up of the Department of Art & Artifacts Stewardship drives and digital
• Collaborate on the development of analogue and digital interpretive materials, exhibits onsite and
online, and occasionally in-person or virtual public programming.
• Develop policies and procedures to implement and manage an oral history program.
• Develop and maintain Vizcaya’s Record Management policies and schedule; manage Vizcaya’s
core “knowledge and research” assets and develop tools and procedures for access.
• Supervise academic interns to support processing collections, research or digitization projects.
• Achieve meaningful and timely actions that advance Vizcaya’s mission, vision and strategic plan.
• Help to sustain and grow Vizcaya’s revenues and participate in pursuing funding opportunities.
• Proactively promote communication, collaboration and customer service.
• Engage in internal committees as appropriate and complete assigned tasks in a timely manner.
• Create and manage your budget; understand and comply with Vizcaya’s policies and procedures.
This job description is not designed to be comprehensive; duties, responsibilities and activities may
change at any time with or without notice.
• At least 3 years of work experience appraising, arranging and describing manuscripts and archival
material in a museum, library or archive environment.
• Master’s degree in Library and Information Science, or a related field.
• Deep and current knowledge of research, archival resource management and care and library
information science theories and practices.
• Current knowledge of best practices in the digitization of archival collections.
• Demonstrated communications, project management and financial management skills.
• Positive attitude, good interpersonal skills, flexibility and commitment to collaboration, customer
service, strategy and innovation.
• English fluency
• Proficiency with Microsoft Office.
Factors Vizcaya Will Consider When Evaluating Applicants and Determining Compensation
• Additional relevant work experience, training and education.
• Proficiency with collections management systems.
• Spanish, Haitian Creole and other language skills.
Vizcaya Museum and Gardens offers competitive compensation with generous paid leave, retirement
benefits, and robust medical and other insurance for full-time employees. Salary will be based on the
selected candidate’s experience and skills. The anticipated compensation is approximately $58,000
for someone meeting the requirements of the position to approximately $65,000 for someone
Work Environment/Physical Demands
The majority of work is done in an office setting, with some portion involving interaction with the
public, community members, partners, vendors, contractors and other constituents on and off site. The
position regularly involves walking, including climbing stairs, in the museum galleries and the
gardens, and includes trips to offsite storage facilities, which may include climbing ladders and some
lifting. Vizcaya is a non-smoking environment.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work/Schedule
This is a full-time (40 hours per week), exempt position. Periodic evening and weekend work is
Equal Opportunity Employer
Vizcaya Museum and Gardens is committed to equity and inclusion and is engaged in a strategic
process to ensure that our staff, Board and volunteers reflect our community’s diversity. Vizcaya
welcomes applicants from groups that are underrepresented in cultural organizations and seeks to
recruit, develop and retain a diverse workforce.
Vizcaya Museum and Gardens is an equal opportunity employer. Vizcaya respects people of all
backgrounds and does not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, sex,
pregnancy, childbirth, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, marital status,
familial status, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, status as a victim
of domestic violence, dating violence or stalking, or other applicable legally protected characteristics
protected by law.
Please submit a resume and a cover letter expressing your interest in this position to:
HRVizcaya@vizcaya.org. Please reference the position title in the subject line of your email.